Sunday, February 3, 2013

You're On Your Own, Bud.

Moving to a brand new city is a big undertaking. Quitting your job, leaving your friends and family behind, and setting out on what very may or may not be a failed attempt at something completely foreign and frightening is a HUGE step. I know I certainly had many a sleepless night over it (and still do, to some extent). But in the last couple of weeks I've come to see that I had it easy - see, I had my best buddy and exceedingly supportive Husband along for the ride.

I have learnt from a few other South African friends, who've struck it out alone - determined, ambitious, brave young women, who've set out to conquer this ferocious town, all on their lonesome. My mind boggles at the thought. It sounds like it's been really hard for them - completely understandably. It's a whole different ball game when you have to apartment hunt, buy a car, find a job AND try and make friends without someone to cuddle up on the couch with at the end of the day. I really do admire their tenacity. Wow.

For Husband and I, we've been each other's support systems, and each other's champions. It's amazing to have your own perfect team, there with you, every step of the way.


I don't think I could have done it alone, that's for sure.

No comments: